About Hebden

Hebden is a small yet historic village nestled in Lower Wharfedale in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales. The village has been designated as a conservation area by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority since 2006.

Many have walked along the ‘Dalesway’ which takes you along the township’s southern boundary from just outside Burnsall, to our famous suspension bridge, (built in 1884 close to the "hippings" that had existed since medieval times and reputedly built after one Joseph Slack was swept off the stepping stones and drowned in a flash flood) and commonly referred to as The Swing Bridge; then along the meadow – known to many for the chestnut trees that line the river bank and provide, shelter from rain, shade from the sun and a vision of beauty in the autumn plus a wonderful bounty of the conkers!

Others come once a year to join us at Hebden Sports, complete with traditional races, events and – highlight of the day the ‘Fell Race’ (or is it the egg throwing competition!). Whatever reason brings people to Hebden many return again and again.

Hebden Fact!

According to the UK census, the population of Hebden has been increasing since 1971 and as of the most recent data, stands at 246.

Hebden's Secret Waterfall

Scale Haw Falls is Hebden's very own secret waterfall! A handy map can be found at Geograph.org

Village
Events

Hebden Sports

26th August (bank holiday Monday)
Powder House Field, B6265
Annual village sports event and fell race.

Jumble Sale

14th September, 2pm
Hebden Institute

For details of other events please see the village notice board outside Hebden Institute.

History of Hebden

The name Hebden may be derived from either heope, Old English for a rose-hip or heopa, Old English for a bramble, and dene, Old English for a valley, or from the Scandinavian Hebban, a topographical description of a ridge forming an elevated site above a small valley.

There is no documentary record of the area until a mention in the Domesday Book of 1086, in which the settlement was referred to as Hebedene held by Osbern d'Arques, the superior or mesne lord holding land directly from the Norman King, with Dringel as tenant, an Anglo Saxon. At the time of the Conquest the land was held by Dreng, which is a Nordic name.

More Information
Historical Photos

Hebden Parish Council

Councillors

  • D. Joy (Chairman)
  • G. Coney
  • P. Hodge
  • M. Longthorne
  • L. Wilson

Documents

In line with the transparency requirements for parish councils, our documets are available at the link below:

HPC Documents